Friday, October 29, 2010

Cupcake Friday!

Since I am completely obsessed with cupcakes, it seems only appropriate that my son's Halloween costume would be inspired by one:

cupcake image taken from Hello, Cupcake!

I was flipping through one of my cupcake books and came across that fish bowl cupcake.  Right then I knew I wanted to somehow make it a costume.  I emailed my husband at work as soon as I came up with the idea and he replied with:

Get it all out of your system now because once he turns 13 he is not going to want to be anywhere near you.

He is probably right.  So away I went with this idea.  Here is how my brain works:

1.  The cupcake.
2.  Draw a picture of how I envision it as a costume.
3.  Make a sample using paper towels, of course.  :)
4.  Make a larger version with poster board to get the sizing right.
5.  Sew a tiny version to make sure it is really possible.
6.  Make it happen.

I mentioned a while ago that I wanted to conquer my fear of my sewing machine I had begged to have for Christmas a few years ago.  Well...I did it!  The details are far from perfect, but for a costume for a one-year-old...I think it is just fine. I sort of followed this concept when I couldn't quite decide how to actually do this.  My dining room table looked like this for a few days and made me crazy...so I forced myself to get it done in three days.

Talk about a disaster!
It was definitely a learning experience, a few bad words left my mouth, but most importantly, I overcame my fear of that machine and actually made something (complete with a 'fish food' bucket for trick-or-treating)! 


9 comments:

Janell @ House of Fifty said...

Now that is Adorable! Great job...happy trick or treating with your little boy. Great job conquering the sewing machine! :)
Janell

Val said...

Brilliant!. I love this and what a little cutie pie he is!!!

Together We Save said...

Oh my... that is the cutest costume ever!!

Muffin Cake said...

You are so creative!!

torrie said...

Hands down the cutest freaking thing I've seen all day- no, year!!!!!!!!!!!

LOVE this idea, your creative process, your drive (I cannot even sew a button on- someday...), and your husband's reply too:) (don't worry, I won't say "just wait", but I'll just say- he's not too far off in his "assessment" :).

HAVE FUN!!!!!

Anonymous said...

Ridiculously adorable.

Anonymous said...

I just want to squeeze him--he's so cute! Good job on the costume, Sioux-sie! Love, Mom

Unknown said...

So cute!!!!! You did such a great job. On him and the costume. :)

Kerstin said...

Adorable, I'm so impressed! Glad you had a great date night too :)