Wednesday, September 22, 2010

!!!

exclamation point necklace

~I realize I overuse and misuse punctuation, but I was not an English major and I am not a writer, so I do not care.  I am a passionate person and feel like I should be able to show it!!  You will notice exclamation points all over my blog and I just can't help it!  I have discussed this with friends numerous times, but am bothered for some reason when people don't use multiple exclamation points for happy news...or even something really terrible or sad.  It makes me feel like they just don't care, when really that is likely not the case.  They probably just don't have the crazy over-punctuation addiction that I have.

Elaine: I was just curious why you didn't use an exclamation point?
Jake: What are you talking about?
Elaine: See, right here you wrote "Myra had the baby," but you didn't use an exclamation point. I mean if one of your close friends had a baby and I left you a message about it, I would use an exclamation point.
Jake: Well, maybe I don't use my exclamation points as haphazardly as you do.
(Seinfeld) (source)

I never really watched Seinfeld, but I can picture this conversation and it makes me laugh because it has happened with friends of mine in the past or I have wondered if someone was mad at me because when I had my son, they only said, "Congratulations!" on my Facebook page....instead of, "OMG!!!!  Congratulations!!!!!  I am so happy for you!!!!!!"

(image source)
 Am I the only exclamation point-abuser out there?  They are pretty cute to look at, I must admit.  :)

7 comments:

Kylie said...

You are not alone!! :o) I use them often and I agree with you when you say you feel others are mad if they don't use enough!!! I had a facebook "incident" that ruined my whole day because I thought I had done something to make a friend mad when she just said "Happy Birthday", instead of "Happy Birthday!!!!!!" It was a close friend, not just a FB friend!

I agree that they are cute. Those are great images! The necklace is adorable and suits you well! :o) ...and me too! LOL Kylie

!!!!!

Ana Degenaar said...

I love this! I do this all the time, my sister hates it but I also like to express myself in every way possible!!!!!!
xo!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

torrie said...

I am a total "over exclaimater" but I will admit, that I fight the urge every single time I write, comment, blog, text, etc.

So sometimes, my comments may appear "angry" when really it's just my inner battle of trying to sound "sophisticated" - calm, cool, collective.

But the *real me* would say, "I looooooooove it!!!!!!!!!!!" ... especially when I know I am writing to others with the same habit as myself. :)

Muffin Cake said...

You know I am with you on this one. Word.

!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Danielle (elleinadspir) said...

Ha, that scene was playing in my head as I started reading your post. It was a great one. And yes...it is important to use them!!! I LOVE them!!!!

Valerie said...

I overuse them all the time as well, I like to think that it is because I am enthusiast about life! I tend to use the accessory rule when I notice I am using them a lot (look at yourself in the mirror and take off one accessory before you leave the house, to avoid being over accessorized). Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't!

Suzanne Anas Jurich said...

ahaha Glad I am not alone!! I try so hard not to overuse them (not really), but sometimes I just can't help myself.