When I am craving chocolate, sometimes there is nothing better than a big fat brownie! I have been a brownie-lover for years, so I have become pretty picky. Some may prefer a cake-like brownie, while others appreciate an ooey gooey one. I fall somewhere in the middle.
Finally after much trial and error, I found the perfect recipe and have been using it ever sense. In February 2004, Glamour magazine held a Great Brownie Bake-off, where members of their staff shared their recipes, had a taste-test, and decided on their favorite. Autumn Madrano won and this is her fabulous recipe:
The Ultimate Brownie
14 tablespoons butter (2 sticks minus 2 tablespoons)
2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
8 oz. bittersweet chocolate blocks
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 cup granulated sugar
1 cup firmly packed dark brown sugar
1/4 teaspoon cinnamon
2 tablespoons vanilla
1 cup all-purpose flour
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Line a 13"x9"x2" baking pan with foil; grease the bottom and sides of the foil with butter.
- Melt butter, olive oil, and chocolate in a metal bowl suspended over simmering water (or use a double boiler).
- In a separate, large bowl beat eggs, whisking in salt, sugars, cinnamon, and vanilla. Stir in chocolate-oil mixture. Fold into flour until just combined.
- Pour batter into pan and bake for about 50 minutes or until the top is shiny and feels moderately firm to touch.
- Cool thoroughly before cutting and store in a sealed container at room temperature for up to 4 days.
Perhaps making brownies from scratch isn't your thing, but you still would like to bake your own brownies at home. Ghirardelli Premium Double Chocolate Brownie mix seems to be the best of the boxed mixes, in my opinion. If you are looking for a fat free brownie, give one of the No Pudge mixes a try. They are actually quite tasty!
Now maybe baking just is not your thing at all and you would like a wonderful brownie delivered to your door! Check out Fairytale Brownies. They come in a variety of flavors and boxes come in various combinations, gift types, and price ranges. You can even customize your own gift box! Yum.
For a chic treat, order from Mari's New York! These brownies are just as delicious as they are beautiful, and come in fabulous, inventive flavors! Take a look:
Whether you decide to bake or buy, take a break and have a brownie!!!