Happy Monday!! I hope you had a great weekend! Last Monday, you may remember that I attempted to make peppermint bark brownies and they turned out ok. They were kind of gross at first, but after being refrigerated overnight, they actually were great. I still wanted to redeem myself and try another holiday recipe and saw Lauren Brennan making these on GMA. They looked ridiculously good and easy, so I thought I'd give them a shot:
- 1 tube refrigerated sugar cookie dough
- 1 family-sized box brownie mix
- 2 (8oz.) packages cream cheese
- 2 1/2 cups white chocolate chips
- 2 teaspoons peppermint extract, divided
- 4 candy canes, crushed
- Make brownie batter according to package directions, but add 1 teaspoon of peppermint extract.
- Bake according to package directions and set aside to cool.
- Spray a 9-by-13” rectangular pan with non-stick cooking spray and spread cookie dough along the bottom, creating an even layer. Bake cookie dough according to package directions, until edges are golden brown. Set aside to cool.
- Once brownies have cooled, remove any hard edges and discard (or eat!). Scrape the rest of the baked brownies into a large bowl. Combine brownies with cream cheese to create a thick mixture that is generally uniform in color. Scoop this mixture onto the baked and cooled cookie dough. Smooth the top.
- Over a double boiler, melt white chocolate and 1 teaspoon of peppermint extract. Spread melted chocolate over the cookie-brownie mixture, sprinkle with candy canes and let cool. Once chocolate has hardened, cut into bars and enjoy!
- Scoring the top of the melted white chocolate before putting it into the fridge to set will help prevent the chocolate from cracking.
While the cookies baked, I started the brownies. Somehow I managed to think the recipe called for 1/2 cup of oil, not 1/3 cup and didn't realize it, until I had already poured it in. I can't even get a box of brownies made correctly. What is wrong with me? I baked them anyway and they were super moist and not greasy, so oh well. :)
Once the cookies and brownies were done, I was ready to get going on the fun parts:
These things are amazingly delicious! It's a cookie with chocolate cheesecake topped with peppermint bark! If you like all of those things, you will love these and must give them a try!! Also be sure to check out Lauren Brennan's blog for more recipes!
Have a great week!!